A mediation task based on an infographic


One of the blogs that I liked and I commented on was Celia’s Teaching English Blog and, since she’s an EOI teacher like me, her contents are very appropriate for me to adapt.

In this case, just like all of you, I’m not going to see my students for at least two weeks, so I’m already thinking about some tasks that I’m going to ask them to do, so I decided to use the Genially infographic made by his student to ask my C1.1 students to do a mediation task, as this is the new skill that we have to work on, and they’re still getting used to it.

The infographic comes in handy at this moment, because the topic is everywhere and everyone is interested in it and, what’s even better, I wanted to introduce the topic of health, and we talked about the news and fake news recently.

So here’s the mediation task that I’m going to send to them:


These last few days have been crazy with too much information about coronavirus (some of it verified, some of it… not so much). An elderly uncle of yours who is very dear to you and lives alone and far away has sent you this e-mail:

From: Uncle Joe
To: AA
Subject: starting to freak out a little

Hi!
How are you doing? I’m doing fine here so far, getting used to staying at home all day. The hardest thing for me is not seeing anyone, especially because there’s no one that I can talk to to ask some questions, and I’m beginning to freak out. You know, I’m overwhelmed by so much information, I’m getting all kinds of text messages and I don’t know what to believe anymore.
Maybe you can help me out here: what is happening? What’s this virus and why is it here now? I have a runny nose, should I be worried? What can be done to keep the virus from spreading?
Thank you so much, I really need some help to filter this nonsense that I’m getting on my cell phone.
I hope everything is solved soon and you can come for spring break, as we had planned!
Love,

Uncle Joe

You decide to send him a video (so that he can see you!) responding to his e-mail. Explain to him what is true and what isn’t, based on the information you’ve seen in this infographic. Your video should be 3-4 minutes long.


If my students are ok with it (which I’m not sure about), I will upload some of the videos I get here.

Comments

  1. Hello, Auria. The first thing that stroke me when I saw your blog was the distribution. It looks nothing like mine! On top of that, your reflections, the materials created by your students are of stunning quality. I really like your blog and think you should keep nurturing it. Congratulations! Your students are so lucky. ;) I particularly like your Isle of Dogs story using Storyjumper and your common mistakes presentation. Besides, your activities are so accurately explained that one could say he is actually seeing you teach.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment